Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Firenze, just when you think you are done...

Monday morning after breakfast we headed off to the Duomo. Where we saw the dome made by Brunelleschi. The Duomo has the 3rd largest Nave in the world, right after St. Peter's in Rome and St. Paul's in London. We climbed the 463 steps to the tope of the dome for an incredible view of the city of Firenze.
After the Duomo we went to the Battistero (Baptistery) right beside the Duomo. We got to see the famous bronze doors which depict scenes from the Bible in exquisite detail. Inside the Battistero was not worth the 3 Euro we paid to get in, but what I got to witness was for me worth it. I walked in looked at the ceiling, and was almost about to walk right back out; when I caught a glimpse of one of the most precious moments ever. I saw a mom and her daughter sitting on the floor, the daughter laying on mom; the mom was pointing up at the ceiling and talking while the little girl stared in amazement and wonder. I was curious what she was saying so I stepped over in that area, sure I was going to hear some other language but hopeful I could pick some things out of it, I've been doing it all week. But to my amazement she was speaking in English, she was explaining the Bible stories that were depicted on the ceiling of the dome. I hadn't even noticed that there were Bible stories depicted. So I stood there and listened as this mom panel by panel explained the stories of Cain and Able, and Moses ... to her little girl. It was absolutely precious.

1 comments :

  1. Unknown said...

    howdy! thats right its a texas greeting :) remember that place? anyway, I'm glad you got the opportunity to go on this fabulous trip. keep up the blog posts to let us know how you're doing.