Wednesday, March 11, 2009

there is never a dull moment when working with people

I'm coming to learn that there is truly never a dull moment when working with people, especially homeless and "street" youth. I confessed last time that I'm working on controlling myself and my dancing... I am proud to say that apple bottom jeans came on the radio yesterday and I contained myself very nicely.

I hope that I daily have a funny story and hopefully many success stories along the way. Today's story happened when we were transporting a few of our clients to the place they are staying currently. These guys have been joking with me for the past 2 weeks and introducing me to many new songs and telling me stories about themselves. All but one of them, he usually is passed out (sleeping) on the couch most of the day until its time to go. This young man, he's one of my favorites because he is usually so incredibly stoned that it takes him a minute to respond to anything you say to him, some times he just smiles and says "yeah" and nods his head as a response probably because he doesn't know what is going on, and he has a grill. He's really funny to interact with probably because he's always 'on' something. Today as he and his friends loaded onto the van he asked me if I preferred 'dark meat or white meat'. Now I am smarter than the average female that is new to working with youth on the street. So I knew he was not referring to actual meat. I have been blessed with the gift to think on my feet and I didn't want to actually answer the question so, I decided to see how long it would take him to realize what I was saying. As I mentioned above this kid has a grill so when he says 'dark' it sounds like "dog". So I begin to use the word 'Dog' and say that, 'No I don't like dog meat, you're crazy if you eat dog meat, etc'. Blah, blah, blah. 3 minutes later he still has not caught on and is trying to continue using the word meat thinking I don't know what 'meat' he is talking about. He is getting more and more convinced that this conversation is hilarious and that I don't have a clue. It was probably one of the funniest 5 minutes of my week. As he was getting out of the van one of the other people in the van finally caught on and announced the 'word confusion' to everyone. So I'm sure this will continue tomorrow. As he got out of the van he just smiled and said you're so funny, I'll see you tomorrow. Apparently that's the most he's talked to any of the Outreach workers (that's my job/team), about something other than what he needs for us to do for him and those are usually short conversations as well.

0 comments :