Sunday, December 2, 2007

Munich, Germany

I'd like to start with the fact that the keyboards here are totally different and I am struggling with it.
We arrived today at about 1 and couldn't get into our rooms until two, which was fine because we were planning on dropping our stuff and going. We dropped our packs in the luggage room, and hopped on a train to Dochau. Dachau is where one of the first Nazi concentration camps was and is now a memorial. It was intense... but it's something I think everybody needs to see. We didn't make it through to everything, so that was a little upsetting but it was still really interesting.
Courtney walked out talking about how blessed we were to be free and that that would never happen and all that was running through my mind the whole time I went through was how fast it happened. And how easily it could happen again, we believe anything the media puts in front of us. Being in London and sitting in my British History class, I learned a lot about how we are taught History and their side of history. It's really interesting. This is a whole really long conversation to be had over some tea with a pastry... not me sitting in my hostel and you reading it. But seeing the concentration camp and being in Europe has put what I just learned about and saw pictures of as real and valid and life... I want to go back and read up on some history and learn more about the places and things I've seen.

0 comments :